Tuesday, May 19, 2009

OnlineSpin: Twitter Search Will Be Powerful


Last week Joe wrote Consumers "Using Social Media To Manage Brands."

Eric Bradlow wrote in response, "Joe: I really enjoyed your piece on using social network sites as a CRM/branding tool and completely agree that this is not new.

However, I want to point out that one downside of using social network sites in this way is that you 'lose control' of your brand.

Anyone you friend can post stuff, and hence through various degrees of separation appear on your page.

One should think strongly about having separate professional and personal networks, or have an ability to monitor closely ones' 'friends' and to de-friend people when necessary."

Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Twitter Search Will Be Powerful
By Joe Marchese

I landed in Los Angeles Sunday night after more than six hours of travel. When I got off the plane, I heard people at the airport talking about an earthquake that had happened earlier in the evening, but no one knew any details.

When I got in my taxi, I immediately went to Google on my BlackBerry and searched "earthquake LA" -- to which Google gave me instant access to all the world's information on earthquakes having to do with L.A. On the first page of results, I could find nothing to do with the earthquake that had hit only a couple of hours ago. Then I ran another search, this time on http://search.twitter.com. Same query, "earthquake LA," but with much different results. Now on my BlackBerry I was looking at people discussing the earthquake that had just happened.

Twitter helped me find information through search that Google was poorly equipped to provide. This is why I stand by my column "Why Google Will Buy Twitter And Make Billions."

The search results on Twitter were not only more informative right away, I got something else from Twitter I didn't from Google: people's reactions to the earthquake. People said things like "Just felt that earthquake in Hollywood, barely felt it at all." This was reassuring, since I live in West Hollywood. Of course, the results from Twitter included a lot of useless noise, but that is a problem that could be easily solved by advancing the Twitter search function and allowing people to help tag results.


What Twitter search needs


In order to become a more useful search tool, Twitter will need to improve the search filters it offers. For example, make it possible for me to run a Twitter search specific to a geographic area, or to run a search showing only results from news organizations using Twitter.

But improving Twitter search functionality won't solve the problem of noise. For that, Twitter will need to, yet again, lean on its users to improve the platforms usefulness. What I mean by "noise" is all the results in my Twitter search that said things like "whoa an earthquake just hit LA" or "did you feel that earthquake in LA.". Providing a digg-like functionality for Twitter users to help classify tweets would not only solve for this, it would make Twitter one of the most valuable search tools on the Internet overnight.

Imagine if people were able tag a tweet as "informative," "funny," "sad," etc. -- and of course, they could simply not tag the useless ones. Then people searching Twitter could filter their results. For example, I might have searched for "earthquake LA" and only tweets that people found informative. Then most likely my first result would have been the result I got halfway down the page, which told me the magnitude and epicenter of the recent earthquake in L.A., and the fact that it didn't seem to have caused any major damage.

Allowing users of Twitter to help refine Twitter search and offering up a few more filters could potentially make Twitter Search the place that organizes the world's information on what is happening right now and makes it accessible, right now. That would be very powerful.

What do you think Twitter search needs? Leave a comment or drop me a line on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/joemarchese
 
 

 

Joe Marchese is President of socialvibe.



Online Spin for Tuesday, May 19, 2009:
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=106404



You are receiving this newsletter at brian.bobo@gmail.com as part of your free membership with MediaPost. If this issue was forwarded to you and you would like to begin receiving a copy of your own, please visit our site - www.mediapost.com - and click on [subscribe] in the e-newsletter box.
For advertising opportunities see our online media kit.


If you'd rather not receive this newsletter in the future click here.
email powered by eROIWe welcome and appreciate forwarding of our newsletters in their entirety or in part with proper attribution.
(c) 2009 MediaPost Communications, 1140 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001



No comments:

Blog Archive