Wednesday, January 21, 2009

OnlineSpin: Digital Tools For Change


Last week Joe wrote "Fix TV Now -- Or Say Goodbye."

Michael Sprouse wrote in response, "Hey Joe: 'Why is this so hard for cable?'

Because they are dinosaurs.

Great piece, the only thing I slightly disagree with is that 'if cable leads, advertisers will follow.'

Traditionally, I think you're right.

But now, I think advertisers have to lead, and the traditional platforms will follow - because THEY will have to or risk extinction (or their set top box being thrown out the window).

If we rely on traditional media types to lead inspiration, we're in trouble."

Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Digital Tools For Change
By Joe Marchese

I am starting this article on my BlackBerry, standing among well over one million people in well-below-freezing temperatures. It is Inauguration Day, and the anticipation is palpable. I am making new friends all around me, but even more impressive is how connected I am to people hundreds -- even thousands -- of miles away. In real time I can broadcast to those within my social graph the specific happenings moment-to-moment. I can take a picture with my camera phone and within minutes have the picture up on my Twitter, Facebook and MySpace accounts. I may not be able to feel my toes, but friends in California on the beach can bug me to continue the play-by-play.

One of the questions I was asked, and I heard asked time and again while in D.C. for the inauguration, is, how will the momentum created during the elections continue? There has been a lot of hype around digital tools bringing a new generation into the political process, and the idea that these people offer the greatest opportunity for us to meet the new challenges we face as a country. I for one don't think this is at all wishful thinking. If there is anything I have learned working at a social media company over the past couple of years, it is this: People have an overwhelming desire to make the world a better place. They just need to be given the right direction and the tools to make it happen.

As I went to various balls and breakfasts, what I continued to come across in D.C. was organizations looking to use digital tools to better engage the next generation. I saw and spoke with organizations that included Service Nation, Do Something, CauseCast and Take Part. What these groups and the incoming administration realize is that by using social media tools, they can communicate, organize and empower a new generation to build a better tomorrow.

The common thread between the rhetoric in Obama's inauguration speech and the proliferation of social media tools surrounding the festivities is that causing real-world change will be about creating movements, both online and offline. It won't be about simply telling people what they need to do; instead, it will be about sharing the challenges and collaborating toward a solution. People are anxious to get involved, but it's never before been possible to organize and empower people the way we can when effectively using the Internet -- and social media specifically.

I, for one, am excited to see what we can do when we give people more tools to create change. After these couple of days in D.C., I know I am not alone.

Joe Marchese is President of socialvibe.



Online Spin for Wednesday, January 21, 2009:
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.san&art_aid=98805



You are receiving this newsletter at brian.bobo@gmail.com as part of your free membership with MediaPost. If this issue was forwarded to you and you would like to begin receiving a copy of your own, please visit our site - www.mediapost.com - and click on [subscribe] in the e-newsletter box.
For advertising opportunities see our online media kit.


If you'd rather not receive this newsletter in the future click here.
email powered by eROIWe welcome and appreciate forwarding of our newsletters in their entirety or in part with proper attribution.
(c) 2009 MediaPost Communications, 1140 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001



No comments:

Blog Archive