Wednesday, June 10, 2009

OnlineSpin: Have You Ever Binged Yourself?


Last week Cory wrote "Time Spent Is The Right Metric To Measure Engagement."

Gregory Wilson wrote in response, "Nicely put, Corey. As you know, we've been recommending time spent as the 'engagement metric' for the digital platform for some time now.

Branding, after all, is about building relationships.

And relationships can only be built through time spent together.

The more time spent with a brand online and/or its advertising, chances are, the greater the affinity for that brand.

Our belief, which we're now in the process of proving, is that share of time leads to share of mind which leads to share of market. Nice to find another supporter."

Michael McMahon wrote, "Hey, Corey, as I read the headline I was already halfway through drafting my fiery response about how we've got to move beyond engagement.

But when I actually read the article I found it to be very insightful

. The idea of tracking time spent across MULTIPLE touch-points and equating that time to brand loyalty and customer value is excellent. Nice work."

Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Have You Ever Binged Yourself?
By Cory Treffiletti

 I Binged myself over the weekend to see what turned up. It sounds a little funny and maybe even a little dirty -- or maybe like I hurt myself or stubbed my toe against the leg of the dining room table. But if Microsoft has its way, then that term will become as ubiquitous as the one referring to the 800-pound search gorilla we call Google.

 

If you're like me, you're intrigued about Bing, the new search engine from Microsoft. I'm intrigued because I actually like PCs and I like the most recent Microsoft campaigns -- but I'm skeptical about the company's search strategy. Working in this industry as I do, I'm familiar with the stops, starts and missteps that have defined Microsoft's efforts in search over the last 15 years. I'm curious about whether the company can right the ship, so I decided to try Bing for myself.

As always, I began with the same two searches I start with on every new platform: "Pearl Jam" and my own name. The homepage of Bing is intriguing. It's attractive because it changes and uses different pictures rather than the standard white page with search box that Google led with. I like it because it's simple yet still elegant, but of course I was always taught to never judge a book by its cover, so I went deeper inside. Upon searching for "Pearl Jam," I was shown some sites that rarely pop up on the first page of Google and I really enjoyed the nav bar along the left that redefines the parameters of the search. Upon searching for myself, I was intrigued to see Facebook profiles popping up, which is something I never see on Google. I dug a little deeper and came up with this brief analysis of Microsoft's new platform.

The Good

  • I love the "Explore" button; it becomes a way of launching into a surfing behavior. I may not know where I want to go, but I can certainly follow a suggested path.
  • The dynamic nav bar on the left rail allows you to refine the category of search results, which is a great way of clearing the junk from the results that I'm just not interested in.
  • The homepage is very cool, very picturesque, and easy to use. I like pictures and I like the inviting feel of the page.
  • I like that it searches deeper Web pages, like Facebook pages, when you are searching for people.
  • I like that it keeps my search history. This is useful when going back and trying to use search as a navigational tool for rediscovering something you found previously.

     

    The Bad

  • I find the TV commercials annoying . That's a big statement to make because I honestly and truly love the current Microsoft "I'm a PC" campaign, but not this aspect of the company's efforts.
  • I'm not too sure that I'll remember Bing all the time, but I always remember Google. Microsoft definitely has an uphill battle to fight, much like Sisyphus, in that the company needs to break a habit, change behavior, and get people like me to stop using the built-in Google toolbar. I did install the Bing toolbar in Firefox to give it the old college try, and so far I'm happy with the experience.

    The Indifferent  

  • The user experience is not dramatically different from that of Google or other engines. The differences are subtle -- and subtlety is sometimes lost on the public at large. The biggest hurdle will be in convincing the average user that these results are substantially better, because as many pundits have said, most people don't know that search is broken.

     

    My summary: I like Bing and I think it's worth a shot, but if the results aren't good, then it's back to Google I go! And just for a laugh, check out what comes up when you search "Bing" on Google. A mix of news articles, energy drinks and Bing Crosby pop up, leading you to be unclear as to whether the name will ever stick.

    Here's to seeing what happens over the coming months, because I love capitalism; competition can only be a good thing because it makes everyone better. I look forward to watching the rise of Bing and the response from Google as well as the swarm of other challengers in this highly utilized and highly combative category!

    Here's to all of you!

  • Cory is president and managing partner for Catalyst SF.



    Online Spin for Wednesday, June 10, 2009:
    http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=107664



    You are receiving this newsletter at brian.bobo@gmail.com as part of your free membership with MediaPost. If this issue was forwarded to you and you would like to begin receiving a copy of your own, please visit our site - www.mediapost.com - and click on [subscribe] in the e-newsletter box.
    For advertising opportunities see our online media kit.


    If you'd rather not receive this newsletter in the future click here.
    email powered by eROIWe welcome and appreciate forwarding of our newsletters in their entirety or in part with proper attribution.
    (c) 2009 MediaPost Communications, 1140 Broadway, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001



    No comments:

    Blog Archive